Henderson man dead after house fire caused by torching bugs

A Henderson man is dead after a house fire that authorities say was caused accidentally by the homeowner using a propane torch to exterminate bugs in a crawl space underneath the house.

Firefighters responded to a fire at a home on the 1600 block of Palomino Drive, near Equestrian Drive and Appaloosa Road, around 6:10 p.m. on May 20.

While fighting the fire crews found the man, later identified as 63-year-old Jeff Long, in a crawl space in the basement.

He was transported to Henderson Hospital where he died from his injuries.

One woman and a dog were displaced by the fire and are being assisted by family members.

The fire caused an estimated $60,000 in damage.

This article originally appeared on KTNV.com on May 21, 2019. Written by Amy Abdelsayed for KTNV 13 Action News. 

Author: Amy Abdel

Amy Abdelsayed is a journalist in Las Vegas, NV. She currently works as a Digital Content Producer for KTNV 13 Action News (ABC affiliate). Previous work experience includes What's On Magazine, Boulder City Review, KSNV News 3 (NBC affiliate), Tesla and Apple.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s